Overhead Power Lines and Underground Cabling
Overhead Power Lines
The main requirements in relation to managing risks from overhead power lines and underground cabling are:
- Completion of a relevant risk assessment to assess the hazards.
- Providing clear information, instruction and training to staff on the associated risks.
- Installation of warnings or hazard signage to advise persons.
- Providing suitable personal protective equipment to staff.
- Having an emergency procedure in place to deal with incidents.
- Suitable first aid arrangements and equipment.
- Avoid works near overhead power lines and underground cabling whenever possible.
- Installation of barriers and control of the working area to prevent unauthorised access even when the work area is unattended.
- Providing staff with maintained equipment that is suitable for the task to be carried safely.
- Identification and a register of all overhead power lines and underground cabling located within the golf course.
Questions to Consider
- Are staff aware of the safe distances to keep clear of any overhead power lines?
- Has the planning stage been thorough enough to identify the presence of any underground services prior to works commencing?
- Has the working area been secured to prevent unauthorised access e.g. holes covered after excavation, etc.?
- Is signage available to identify associated hazards?
- Can the affected services be shut off to allow works to be carried out?
- Are there alternative routes that could avoid potential contact with overhead power lines?
The above guidance provides an introduction on the main requirements needed to adequately manage this health and safety topic. If you require further guidance, risk assessments or template documentation on this subject please consult your relevant full guidance health and safety website (BIGGA, England Golf, Scottish Golf, Wales Golf). If you do not hold the log in details for this website, for your club, please speak to your golf club management team to identify who the account administrator is and request the details.